Moving to a new web host can be daunting and painful.
Early in my Internet career, I’d put off a server move for weeks as I knew it could cause many issues. As the old saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.
Every year, we see a massive influx of new customers who want to leave their current web hosts because they’re not receiving the services they need.
At NameHero, we provide you with 15 complementary migrations that will help you make the move. This involves transporting your current cPanel—which is the graphical interface where you manage your website and servers—to a new cPanel.
We can easily facilitate these migrations, as long as we can obtain a full cPanel backup from your current host and the backup file isn’t too big.
But what if you don’t want to move your entire cPanel account, just WordPress? What if your current hosting providers don’t use cPanel?
Thankfully, there are many pain-free options to get your WordPress website moved to one of our new WordPress Hosting packages.
In this article, I will specifically focus on the All-in-One WordPress Migration Plugin.
- Reasons to Migrate Your WordPress Site
- The Benefits of Using the All-in-One WordPress Plugin
- How to Use the All-in-One WordPress Plugin
- 1. Install the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin at your old host
- 2. Export your WordPress website at your old host
- 3. Install the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin at your new host
- 4. Import your WordPress website at your old host
- Do this if you get an upload limit error on import
- How to use the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin for WordPress sites
- Premium Extensions to Add to the Migration Plugin
- What Do the Users Have to Say about All-in-One WP Migration?
- Are There Alternatives to the Premium Extensions?
Reasons to Migrate Your WordPress Site
Before we jump into your website’s migration, let’s consider why you might be considering moving to a new host. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you paying too much for your current hosting?
- Have you had trouble with your current host’s customer service?
- Has your current hosting service been unreliable?
- Has your website traffic exceeded the capacity that your current host offers?
- Do you plan to upgrade your website and require additional server support?
- Will you add a content management system that your current host doesn’t support?
- Does your website need a new server that it has exclusive access to?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, then a WP migration might be the right decision for your website.
Have a look at the hosting services we offer at NameHero. We have four plans available, so you can select the one that matches both your website requirements and budget.
The Benefits of Using the All-in-One WordPress Plugin
This easy-to-use plugin is designed for website owners who don’t have technical knowledge. In other words, you can do the migration yourself—even if you’re not tech-savvy.
If you use the plugin, you will benefit from the following features:
- Ability to use the plugin in your own language.
- Support for other custom uploads, such as more plugin options and theme folders.
- Your website URL will automatically be replaced during import.
- It’s compatible with mobile devices.
- No limitations in terms of hosts or operating systems.
- It’s accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Government organizations such as the State of California and the State of Hawaii, as well as big brands such as Harvard University, Lego, and NASA, all trust the All-in-One WordPress Plugin.
To impress such well-known organizations, the plugin must have undergone a lot of testing and, ultimately, succeeded. This shows that your website can also rely on it for your host migration.
You don’t have to worry about your data relying on traditional WordPress hosting, because the All-in-One WordPress Plugin uses cloud WordPress hosting.
To top this all off, using the plugin is entirely free.
How to Use the All-in-One WordPress Plugin
If you’re ready to migrate your WordPress website from one host to another (perhaps NameHero), then you can follow these easy steps below
If you’re All-in-One WordPress Migration Import is Stuck read our article on how to fix it here.
1. Install the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin at your old host
To get started, you first need to install the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin on the host you’re moving from.
To do this, log in to your wp-admin to view your WordPress dashboard. From here, go to Plugins -> Add New:
Once here, type in All-in-One WP Migration Plugin and press enter. As the admin user, you can then click Install Now:
Once installed, you have to Activate it. If you don’t do this, it will just remain dormant among your installed files:
2. Export your WordPress website at your old host
Once the plugin has been activated, you’ll notice that it shows up on your left navigation menu on your WordPress dashboard. Hover over this and simply click Export:
From here, you’ll have a couple of options:
If you want to proceed with the default (all options), click on Export To and select your destination:
If your website isn’t that big, it may be the easiest option to export to File. This will package your WordPress website. To do this, you’ll need to select the download button to save it to your local machine.
If you have a larger website, you may wish to use the FTP option to send it over to your new (NameHero) web hosting account. In addition, you can also send it to a third-party service such as DropBox.
If you don’t want to export your entire WordPress website, you can click the Advanced Options tab and skip certain files or sections, such as spam or post revisions. This allows you to get rid of any useless data:
Once you’ve accomplished this, you should have a nice export file on your computer (or the new location you’ve selected):
3. Install the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin at your new host
Following the same instructions as above, you’ll install the All-in-One Migration Plugin inside your new hosting provider:
To do this, log in to your wp-admin on your WordPress dashboard. Again, go to Plugins -> Add New:
Once here, type in All-in-One WP Migration Plugin and press enter. You can then click Install Now:
Once installed, make sure you Activate it (just like you did before):
4. Import your WordPress website at your old host
You’re now ready to import your website.
On the side menu, hover over All-in-One WP Migration and click Import:
This will bring up a screen that will allow you to drag the export file of your website into the upload area and the import process will begin:
If you used another option (such as FTP or DropBox) you’ll need to click Import From, select that option, and install the appropriate plugin:
You can then follow the Import Wizard’s instructions. Click Proceed and follow the prompts. If you don’t click proceed, your website will remain unchanged.
Once complete, you’ll get a success box such as this:
You can then click on the link called Permalinks Settings and make sure you save it twice:
You need to save it twice so that it will re-generate your .htaccess file and ensure that your links are formatted properly.
Congratulations, you’ve now successfully imported your WordPress website at NameHero! You will have access to the same site that was on your old host and benefit from a better experience.
Do this if you get an upload limit error on import
When you import your file, you may get an error that your PHP upload limit is too low:
If you get this error, you can log in to your NameHero Control Panel -> cPanel:
From here, search for Select PHP Version:
And then click Switch To PHP Options:
And then change your upload_max_filesize and post_max_size:
Click Save and try the import again.
If it is still too large, you can upgrade to the premium versions, which allow unlimited size imports for larger sites.
How to use the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin for WordPress sites
I’ve filmed a video tutorial where I walk you through this entire process. You can follow along as I explain how to migrate WordPress sites step-by-step:
Premium Extensions to Add to the Migration Plugin
Besides gaining access to the original features of the All-in-One site migration plugin, you can also activate premium extensions.
These are additional features that you can add to the plugin at any stage of the migration process—at a cost. Their main purpose is to facilitate larger cloud storage services for your WordPress migration plugins.
Here are some of the most popular premium extensions that offer additional cloud storage options:
- Unlimited Extension: This extension removes upload limits, and allows you to apply the plugin to several of your websites. By implementing this, you will be able to import backups that are larger than 512 MB.
- URL Extension: If you would like to move your entire site to a new domain or change the structure of your URL, then this extension is perfect for you. It allows you to change the URL in your migration folder.
- Multisite Extension: This is useful if you have a WordPress multisite network, which is a feature that allows you to manage several websites under a single installation. This extension assists you with the migration of a WordPress multisite.
- Google Drive Extension: You can use this to store your migration files in your Google Drive account. This is particularly useful if you plan to share these files with your team. Alternatively, try the Dropbox Extension or the OneDrive Extension.
- FTP Extension: Instead of using the plugin’s file management system, you can store your data using FTP (file transfer protocol). This is a network communications protocol that uses an internet connection to transfer and store files.
Each extension is priced differently. At the time of publication, the majority of them cost $99, with the most expensive one costing $319 (Multisite Extension) and the most affordable one costing $69 (Unlimited Extension). Unfortunately, there aren’t free versions available.
These extensions are only accessible once you’ve installed the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin. They are optional and you don’t need to install these to successfully migrate your website—unless your files are too large for the plugin.
What Do the Users Have to Say about All-in-One WP Migration?
ServMask, which is the company that created the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin, has received incredibly positive reviews online. Based on 136 reviews, they scored 4.7/5 on TrustPilot, where 89% of reviewers gave them 5/5.
In their reviews, many users praised them for their perfect service and support, and many of them claim that the plugin has offered them years of solid performance.
One of the reviewers said that ServMask took an active interest in helping them find solutions to their problems and they stayed in contact until the issue was resolved. You can, therefore, count on them to assist you if you struggle to use their plugin.
Their less favorable reviews are centered around the issue of remote storage space. One user said that their WordPress migration process stopped at 98% and refused to complete.
Luckily, another user responded to their message and explained that this happens if you’re trying to migrate files that exceed 512 MB. To avoid this issue, they suggested investing in one of the extensions.
The other main complaint that ServMask received was that they didn’t refund clients for purchasing the wrong extension. However, their refund policy clearly states that they will do so at their own discretion.
Therefore, if you decide to invest in an extension, make sure you select the correct one from the start to avoid any issues later on.
Are There Alternatives to the Premium Extensions?
What should you do if your website is too big to use the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin and you don’t want to use their premium extensions?
One way to overcome this is to split your export database file. This will allow you to sidestep their restriction of 512 MB. Do this by dividing your export file into two or more parts and uploading them individually.
You can also opt for other WordPress plugins. There are several of these products on the market, such as Duplicator, WP Migrate DB, Jetpack Plugin, and Migrate Guru.
Before you select any of these WordPress migration plugins, make sure you do your research and read reviews about their migration tools.
At NameHero, we can also manually move your WordPress site over for you. This is done by downloading the WordPress files or exporting the database, and then re-importing it.
We specialize in WordPress and we can make sure that your website is safely and professionally migrated to its new home. Get in touch with us here to get the ball rolling.
If you have any questions about the All-in-One WP Migration Plugin, you can also leave us a comment below. I try my best to personally answer each question, so ask away!
Ryan Gray is the founder and CEO of NameHero, one of the fastest growing independent web hosts in the United States. Ryan has been working online since 1998 and has over two-decades experience in Internet Entrepreneurship.