There’s a new free tool floating around the blogosphere now called LinkTally that allows you to input any url and it will retrieve how many times the url was shared socially.
Originally introduced by Dan Zarrelly on the Hubspot Blog, LinkTally can be useful for:
- Compare the success of blog article topics on a number of sites to brainstorm new content ideas.
- Determine which content formats (e.g. infographics vs. text-based-content vs. video content, etc.) are most popular for social sharing.
- Pinpoint which social networks to use to help launch certain types of content in the future? (For example, if you notice that infographics take off on Facebook, or your LinkedIn audience prefers content about certain topics.)
- Check out the social read of various blogs to identify targets for guest blogging.
- Measure the social success of your competitors’ content for benchmarking purposes.
Here’s a screenshot of the tool in action: (PS – Thanks Dan for a cool new tool!)