Selling your customers web hosting can be extremely competitive at times so having good pricing is an absolute must.
But wait! There’s more!
Upsells are a proven way to drastically increase your lifetime value per customer and help double your ROI.
People Want To Be Upsold
You’ll often find, customers that are in the buying mindset, will purchase the bulk of your upsells/add-ons as long as they feel like they’re initially getting a good price.
Think about grocery shopping.
When you get to the checkout – you’ve already shopped the deals and feel confident in your savings – so what’s the harm in throwing that $2 Dasani water up on the belt?
I fall victim every single day.
1 – Diet Coke
1 – Reese Cup
Everyday, I’m up-sold [and I consider myself a pretty aware marketer].
It’s important for any business to maximize the value of their customers, and upsells is a perfect way.
At Name Hero, we give all our Resellers plenty of bells and whistles they can use as upsells to their customers.
Feature Manager In Web Host Manager
If you have an account with us, login to Web Host Manager, click on Feature Manager, and you can create a list of features to go along with your packages (also read How To Create A Package In Web Host Manager):
Potential Upsells To Your Clients
You can login for yourself and see the comprehensive list of items you can include or exclude in your hosting packages, but some to ponder include:
- Addon Domain Manager – Off your customers the ability to manage multiple domains.
- AutoSSL – Allow your customers to have Automatic SSL certificates.
- CloudFlare Plugin – Cloudflare CDN + DDOS Protection (very popular).
- Cpremote Backup Management Plugin – Off site nightly backups accessable directly from inside cPanel (most people will order).
- Custom Error Pages – Customized 404 (page not found) and other error pages for a more professional experience.
- Select PHP Version Plugin – Select between the server default version (PHP 5.6) and others (all the way to 7.1).
- Softaculous Apps Installer Plugin – Offer your customers the ability to install popular scripts such as WordPress/WHMCS with one click.
- Virus Scanning Plugin – Ability to scan for Malware or other malicious files.
- WordPress (cPanel) – WordPress installed with one click.
You can mix and match these to help create the perfect package for your client.
I’d personally recommend including some with the base package and then adding features such as Backups, Cloudflare, AutoSSL as “add-ons” in your order flow.
Don’t Over Upsell
While upsells are a great way to add extra revenue and really boost your ROI, you wouldn’t want to take my entire list above and offer them as add-ons.
Customers will begin to get the idea that your base package is the “bare bones” and could end up getting so frustrated they go to a web host that offers it in one place.
Also, don’t forget about other services you can offer. Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Integration, and Pay Per Click Management are all additional services you can charge a premium for.
You’re also likely to get even more revenue for services that you have to customize to a particular client.
In conclusion, upselling is a great way to still keep your prices competitive, but be able to obtain more profit per user and increase your lifetime ROI.
Ryan Gray is the founder and CEO of NameHero, one of the fastest growing independent web hosts in the United States. Ryan has been working online since 1998 and has over two-decades experience in Internet Entrepreneurship.