As mobile traffic continues to explode, ad networks are looking to cash in on these impressions by charging advertisers by the click and overall eCPM. One problem we commonly address and discuss inside the Community is the weak targeting and overall rip off some networks offer. Given a lot of people buying mobile traffic are just getting started, they don’t really understand the type of traffic quality they should be receiving. This is a dream come true for the advertising networks as they’re able to leverage the large amounts of volume and receive a sustainable margin. We developed iMobiTrax to help prevent mobile click fraud and to be able to provide us with a “real time” view of the traffic we receive. This has allowed us to gain leaps and bounds of knowledge when it comes to many of the mobile advertising networks out there.
Over the last several months I’ve compiled the following list of questions I like to ask any mobile advertising network before I start purchasing traffic. While they may not answer every one of these questions, the ones that are hungry and want to work with you will, and allows you to create a “profile” so you have a good feeling about the traffic you’re going to purchase. I also recommend discussing particular campaign goals and objectives with them before getting started.
- How many daily impressions per country do you have available daily?
- Was is a competitive CPC (cost per click) in each country?
- What is a competitive CTR (click through rate) in each country?
- What is the operator break down percentage by country?
- What percentage of traffic per country is Wifi on average?
- What are your targeting options? Can we target by carrier, manufacture, handset?
- Do you offer frequency capping?
- What is a competitive budget?
- Do you have a refund policy?
- What is your initial deposit?
- What types of creatives do you have available? Banner sizes? Images and/or text?
- Do you offer day parting?
- What funding source(s) do you accept?
- What is your policy on click fraud? Do you have one?
- What percentage of your traffic is from apps/mobile web?
- What are some of your top publishers?
Print out, save, add to this list – but before purchasing mobile traffic get a clear understanding of what you’re going to receive. Far too often I speak with new mobile advertisers purchasing traffic wondering why their campaigns aren’t converting. After I see a CSV export of their click data, it’s clear as daylight the traffic simply wasn’t up to par. Over the next couple of months I look for many mobile ad networks to up their game as ad servers become better targeted but it’s VERY important to be aware of the traffic you’re receiving. Never make an assumption or think that by spending more money, the traffic quality is going to get better!
Ryan Gray is the founder and CEO of NameHero, one of the fastest growing independent web hosts in the United States. Ryan has been working online since 1998 and has over two-decades experience in Internet Entrepreneurship.